Like many cities in the Canadian Prairies, Calgary’s downtown area is more populated by cars than it is by people. Inspired by the street life generated out east during Pop Montreal, former music venue owner Zak Pashak founded Sled Island (2007), an annual music & arts festival.
The festival is less than a decade old, but don’t let it’s young age fool you! Sled Island has already been named one of 14 music festivals to check out in North America by Time Magazine.
Pashak’s goal for the festival was to break down the barriers between different businesses, music fans and age groups, and to fill the downtown core with as many different types of people as possible. And he’s done just that. The festival now takes over 35+ venues and features a wide variety of music, film, art, comedy and more. There’s something for everyone – some of it familiar, and some of it new and waiting to be discovered!
EQ3 Calgary is excited to return as a community partner of Sled Island. Festival pass holders will receive 15% off all regular priced items from EQ3 Calgary (offer excludes Herman Miller) during the festival. Plus, those who purchase their pass by June 15th can enter for a chance to win a $1,000 EQ3 Credit.
“With pretty much all of the venues a short bike ride away, and with a festival wristband, you can see as little or as much of the festival as you want,” says Dom Adam, EQ3 Calgary’s Store Manager. “You can plan out all of your shows at SledIsland.com, which lets you build a custom schedule, or you can just wing it and maybe see some acts that you’ve never heard of. Chances are you’ll meet some good new people and see some good bands.”
You can get the full 2014 festival schedule here, but first, check out these Sled Island show recommendations from Dom!
02. Shaani Cage (at Central United Church)
03. Rhye (at Central United Church)
04. Disappears (at Commonwealth Bar & Stage)
05. Young Braised (at Local 510)
06. PS I Love You (at Broken City)
07. Get To Know: Calgary (at The Palomino)
09. Chelsea Wolfe (at Commonwealth Bar & Stage)
10. Royal Canoe (at The Palomina)
11. Killer Mike (at Republik)
12. Old Man Markley (at Ship & Anchor)
14. Blitzen Trapper (at Olympic Plaza)
15. Neko Case (at Olympic Plaza)
16. Touché Amoré (at #1 Legion – Downstairs)
17. St. Vincent (at Flames Central)
18. Rocket From the Crypt (at Olympic Plaza)
19. Spiritualized (at Olympic Plaza)
20. Shannon and the Clams (at The Palomino) *One of the best shows I saw in 2012
21. Bob Mould (at Republik)
22. Jay Arner (Saturday at Tubby Dog, or Friday at Commonwealth Bar & Stage)
Image Source: Photographs used with permission by Sled Island
Sled Island runs from Wednesday June 18th to Sunday June 22nd, 2014. Visit Sledisland.com for more details and to purchase your festival pass. Purchase by Sunday, June 15th and you can enter to win a $1,000 EQ3 Credit.